Project: US
You must login to confirm you are you. If you are not you, but another you, we don't want you. So you better make you you by logging in. See - isn't that simple?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You must login to confirm you are you. If you are not you, but another you, we don't want you. So you better make you you by logging in. See - isn't that simple?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An organized place where we can empty our minds and create the bestestest RPG game ever.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who can use Magic?

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who can use Magic? Empty Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:55 am

Aentho

Aentho

Is it limited to holy people or occultists, or might it have intellectual requirements?

If everyone is capable of using magic, it should be a commonplace part of day to day living.
If magic requires schooling, political and social structures would develop where the wealthy and powerful have an additional supernatural advantage.
If magic is drawn from a divine power, consider how much more powerful churches would be in a world where real miracles can be seen on a regular basis.
Share your thoughts.

2Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:16 am

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

I don't think EVERYONE should be able to use magic. Because, again, if we're making this as realistic as possible, humana can't use magic. It makes sense for whatever happened in the war (yeah, what DID happen there? Lol) caused magic to florish in some and branch out from there on.

HOWEVER, I don't think its fair to let humans not use magic. I really hope this is where everyone agrees and let's Mr. Slade step in here. On his character sheer, I've made his greatest achievement creating a security system that can identify magic when it is close or within its walls. Beforehand, I imagined magical hooligans using magic, turning invisible or something, and could steal and such. I assumed that when that was made, it became popular and Mr. Slade gained his credibility from that. From there on, perhaps as our party progresses through stuff, Slade can create such ideas to enable non-magic users the ability to use and identify magic?

EDIT: Also, I know this goes against our idea that magic uses HP in a way. Perhaps Slade can find a way around that in some way or another.

https://project-us.forumotion.net

3Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:37 pm

Aentho

Aentho

Yeah, I want magic to be something that is innate within the user, and it would make more sense if only mutants could use magic. Maybe the Guild's mission is to find a way for humans and artificial humans to use magic, with the goal of making one equal?

Slade would be totally in for using his technology to assist his fellow man in the pursuit of magic. That could be a huge motivation for him.

4Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:42 pm

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

Yes! I so agree with that being a goal. I know that on Slade's character sheet, that is one of his goals. Definitely, I can see him making little gizmos and stuff to help the party and anyone else at the guild, and as the "Event Horizon" becomes more clear, maybe they learn more about magic and their enemies and such, and bring back news, data, parts, etc, to him, and then as the story progresses, he can assist with who can actually use magic or not.

Sorry, I know I'm derailing this thread, but I do believe that Slade could be a big part in this side of the story. Smile When I get my lazy butt to finish his character sheet, I encourage people to read it; I will be attaching the sheet to a post in his thread. Smile

5Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:44 pm

Aentho

Aentho

Are you sure you don't want him as a playable character? Especially if he discovers that he can harness magic himself

6Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:15 pm

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

Yeah, I'm starting to wonder if he should be a playable character ... especially since he's ending up to potentially be having a fairly important role, so to speak. I'm not at all opposed to the idea, by any means!

7Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:17 pm

Aentho

Aentho

Well, like we've discussed, there needs to be a good limit on the number of playable characters because there'll be so much narration dialogue to go with each one.

8Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:19 pm

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

Definitely. I don't mind helping with that! I think we can always create lots of characters and then pick and choose who we want to use and such?

9Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:28 pm

Aentho

Aentho

That's right.

10Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:11 pm

Aentho

Aentho

Trying to pump life back into this thread; Should there be large sections of the population who are unable to use magic? Or just the people of the Floating Island perhaps?

11Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:20 pm

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

I thought the artificials wouldn't be able to use magic either?

12Who can use Magic? Empty Re: Who can use Magic? Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:22 pm

Aentho

Aentho

That's what I'D like, but I'm waiting for other opinions haha.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum