Project: US
You must login to confirm you are you. If you are not you, but another you, we don't want you. So you better make you you by logging in. See - isn't that simple?

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

You must login to confirm you are you. If you are not you, but another you, we don't want you. So you better make you you by logging in. See - isn't that simple?
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An organized place where we can empty our minds and create the bestestest RPG game ever.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What do YOU think the Theme, Tone, and Style of Project: Us should include?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Aentho

Aentho

We've established that the game is going to be a post-apocalyptic RPG, that there will be many characters in a guild, and that you can use them to complete missions that reveal the backstories of the characters. From what I've implemented, we've got front-facing turn based combat, a Life-based magic system, a crafting system, key term memorization, a journal, a time system, and a large overworld map saturated with things to find and characters to meet. That's the "engine" that we're working with, so to speak. The "code" of the game is mostly done by this point and the game runs pretty well as long as you don't have too much going on in the background.

What this game needs at any point in the future will include weapons, armour, items, food, spells, journal entries, a rich story, well-developed setpieces, detailed character backstories (unless you've included them in your character sheets and if you did GOLD STAR), competently-designed maps, at minimum-tolerable voice acting and kickass music. But before we can accomplish any of that properly we need to establish some fundamental aspects of the game, and I've been brewing on how to do this for a while and my best solution is this: We disucuss the overall theme(s), tone(s), and style(s) of the game. By solidifying these, we can create a more solid foundation upon which to work on everything that I described above.

Tell me your thoughts and feelings on this issue.

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

I agree with this - I think this will hopefully work out any kinks we've been having. Smile

Hm... In regards to themes, tones, and styles, besides the basis of what has already been established, I think I am definitely game for the initial tone of the game to be dreary. I mean, the game DOES start off after a crazy calamity and whatnot. But I think I'd like the game to grow as we learn more about the world - get more quirky and lighthearted the more new characters and plot we bring in. For example, when Atticus is introduced, the game will take less of a dreary tone and more of a humorous tone because he is such an actor (on the outside, as far as we know! Haha). I also think the hybridization of both the old and the new should be an important concept for the game. Not just in weapons, but in uniting potentially opposing groups (say humans against magic users eventually becoming more accepting of them, or something of the sort). I think it would be easy to introduce this kind of thing, seeing as our guild will be a platform for any kind of person to join.

So I guess: dreary, yet quirky, and hopeful.

As for which way we want the story to present itself - very fantasy like or realistic - I am honestly neutral. I don't care which way we decide to go - either way the plot will captivate my interest.

I could continue blabbing as I usually do, but I'll stop and see what others think before I continue. XD

In case people are struggling with themes ... Here is a list of some: http://homeworktips.about.com/od/writingabookreport/a/themelist.htm

https://project-us.forumotion.net

Transonik-Saber

Transonik-Saber

All I ask is that it as a game should take itself seriously. Humor is cool in bits and as comedy relief, but it should also keep a mostly dreary/dark atmosphere. I'm not a fan of breaking the 4th wall, so that's out. Basically listen to tribes ascend music and get the feeling of the mood from that.

Aentho

Aentho

I think you are both absolutely correct. The tone should be dreary maybe even dark, and the game should take itself seriously but still have a unique world.

As for themes and styles, I think I'd like mystery to be a major motif. The characters in the game, along with the player, will be in need of answers, and these answers will get revealed to them over the course of the story. They have nothing but their own wits to find the truths that they seek.

Also, I think it's almost a guarantee that the game will be dialogue-heavy because of everything we've included, but if this is a problem then you should make that clear.

Transonik-Saber

Transonik-Saber

Dark and mysterious, a sense of wonder traversing this new unknown world is required but not terror or horror.

Aentho

Aentho

Here's what I came up with:

Themes: War, Religion, Discovery, Truth, Unity, etc etc etc.
Tone: Serious.
Style: Depressing but hopful. Maybe even philosophical and thought-provoking.

Suggestions for additions/removals?

stphspd

stphspd
Admin

Nope! I think that summarizes everything perfectly. Smile

https://project-us.forumotion.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum